Test Your Grammar Skills
Fill in the blanks in the following sentences with the proper
pronouns. See that there is agreement in person, gender, and number:
1. Has everybody finished —- work.
2. If any one wishes a longer time, let —- hold up —- hand.
3. The panther sprang from —- lurking place.
4. Many a man has (have) lost —- money in speculation.
5. The cat came each day for —- bit of meat.
6. Everyone has to prove —- right to a seat.
7. Let every boy answer for —- self (selves).
8. The crowd was so great that we could hardly get through —-.
9. Let any boy guess this riddle if —- can.
10. Company H was greatly reduced in —- numbers.
11. Every animal has some weapon with which —- can defend
12. Nowhere does each dare do as —- pleases (please).
13. The elephant placed —- great foot on the man’s chest.
14. The child did not know —- mother.
15. Every kind of animal has —- natural enemies.
16. The committee instructed —- chairman to report the matter.
17. Two men were present, but neither would tell what —- saw.
18. Truth always triumphs over —- enemies.
19. Nobody did —- duty more readily than I.
20. The cat never fails to catch —- prey.
21. I have used both blue crayon and red crayon, but —- does
(do) not write so clearly as white.
22. If John and Henry whisper (whispers) —- will be punished.
23. If John or Henry whisper (whispers) —- will be punished.
24. Both Columbus and Cabot failed to realize the importance
of —- discoveries.